Re: mauve results posted nightly

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: mauve results posted nightly
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:28:17 -0500

Tom Tromey wrote:
"Stuart" == Stuart Ballard <address@hidden> writes:

Are you taking feature requests?  I'd like it if the package name for
a given comparison linked to detailed information about the
differences in the package.  I'm thinking that easy bugs (e.g.,
missing "final", wrong protections, etc) can be fixed immediately if
there is an easy way to see them.

The plaintext output already linked from www.classpath.org includes this. I certainly plan on adding it to the HTML output very soon.

Sure, I'm taking feature requests. I'm taking patches too ;)

It's more work, but you could eliminate false problems by reading all
the APIs at once and only mentioning something as an error if it
disagrees with 1.4.

Well, there's two aspects to this. The first is that jode is currently unable to read classfiles created with javac 1.4, which means that it's currently impossible to create a jdk14.japi.gz using japize out of the box. It would certainly be great if we could address this issue by patching jode. This is a prerequisite for doing what you suggest, but it would also help by itself because at least you can look and see whether the purple bar is still there with 1.4.

As far as eliminating false problems caused by implementing 1.4 features is concerned, that's also on the list for japitools-1.0 but it certainly makes things a lot more complicated. On the front-end, I'm trying to think of good ways to present that information when you have lots of different JDK versions being compared, and lots of free versions to compare against, and seeing if I can present that usefully in a single HTML file. On the backend, there's some significant re-architecting that needs doing if I'm going to process more than two files simultaneously (for starters, if you have multiple "left-hand" files, you can't use the left-hand file to "drive" the loading process anymore).

Stuart> Anyone with connections in the libgcj camp, you're welcome to
Stuart> post a libgcj.japi.gz file somewhere nightly and I'll do the
Stuart> same...

It will take some time, probably a long time, but eventually I'll do
this.

Let me know where to find the file when it happens, and I'll add it to my crontab :)

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer
NetReach - Internet Solutions