Re: X Rendering and GNU Classpath

From: Jean-Daniel Fekete
Subject: Re: X Rendering and GNU Classpath
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:41:32 +0200

Brian Jones writes:

Sascha,

Is there any way to implement this that would work on both UNIX and
Windows, but not require 3d hardware which OpenGL seems to... I'm
guessing probably not.  Looks like 2 days Sun and SGI decided to
create standard Java bindings for OpenGL,
http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2003/july/sgisun_opengl.html.

Dear classpath developers,

I took over the development of Agile2D, a package implementing Graphics2D in
OpenGL using gl4java.  Agile2d has been implemented originaly by Jon Meyer for
Ben Bederson, director of the Human Computer Interaction Lab. at the University
of Maryland.  Agile2d is available at http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/agile2d and,
until the new version is available there, at my local page
http://www.lri.fr/~fekete/agile2d and it is distributed under the Apache
licence (it can change).

Having seen the announcement of Sgi and Sun, I think I will migrate Agile2D to
the new Java binding.

It would be a shame to duplicate the effort so I am willing to help and provide
all the information you would need to achieve a free port of Graphics2D based
on OpenGL and, of course, the code too.

Keep in mind that there are currently more platform supporting OpenGL than Java
so OpenGL is really a garantee of portability, compared to the  mess of having
different ports for X11 graphics, Windows graphics, Mac graphics and others to
come.  There is still a little bit of platform dependent code required to
access OpenGL from these platform.

As for Font rendering, I have implemented FreeType font rendering for OpenGL
and there is a library made by Stephane Conversy called glft that can be used
too (see the svgl project at http://www.lri.fr/~conversy/svgl/).

I hope we can collaborate on providing a good and fast, free implementation of
Graphics2D.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Daniel Fekete      address@hidden
INRIA Futurs, LRI               tel: +33 1 69156623