Re: Classpath - javax.sound implementation - which library?

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Classpath - javax.sound implementation - which library?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:19:40 +0200

Hi Ricky,

Ricky Clarkson wrote:
Hi,

I've been looking at tritonus, and its mixer capabilities are
ALSA-specific (hence Linux-specific).  Is there some other library that
would be viable for Classpath, such as SDL, that would be more portable?

Tritonus also supports ESD as it backed, I've merged in both into kaffe. The tritonus developers were quite open minded about others contributing backends for other libraries when I spoke to them last time around (when the code was merged into kaffe).

And it works quite well, by the way ;)

I'm not sure of licensing issues around SDL or even tritonus, but
tritonus is LGPL, and the authors are apparently flexible on licensing.

I doubt LGPL will work with classpath as

a) LGPL can be transformed to GPL, which is not equal to GPL + linking exception that Classpath has

b) Tritonus developers would have to submit their copyrights for the code to the FSF anyway for the code to enter Classpath.

So the best course of action would seem to be to have Mark contact them about contributing their code to Classpath. I would fully support such a move.

cheers,
dalibor topic