Copyright assignment (was: "enum" variables (patch))

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Copyright assignment (was: "enum" variables (patch))
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:45:17 +0100

Matthias Pfisterer <address@hidden> wrote on Thu, 22 Jan
2004 07:55:26 +0100:

>> [need to file a copyright assignment with the FSF]

>Huh? Renaming a few variables is a big contribution? But ok, I need to
>do this anyway.

Some contributors of Classpath might be annoyed if their work was being
used under conditions that are not according to the terms of the license.
However, enforcing the license in court (if this was ever needed) would
be easier if the Free Software Foundation can claim to speak in the name
of all authors. For this reason, and for others that are specific to the
intellectual property system of the United States, GNU projects tend to
be a bit picky about getting signatures from all contributors. Please do
not see this as a personal offence.

See also <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html>.

For getting the assignment form, please send an e-mail with your name (as
it appears in your passport) and your current postal address to the
maintainer of GNU Classpath, Mark Wielaard <address@hidden>.

By the way, thank you very much for your work. I think I can speak in the
name of everyone here if I say that we are looking forward to your
contributions!

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/