Re: jhbuild and classpath

From: James Henstridge
Subject: Re: jhbuild and classpath
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:13:49 +0800

On 5/04/2004 6:22 AM, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

Hi James,

I've been experimenting with using jhbuild for GNU Classpath
development.  My compliments on jhbuild; it's a very nice tool!
Cool. I put a fair bit of work into making jhbuild usable outside of Gnome (primarily for some of the freedesktop.org projects such as the X server), so it'll be good if it benefits you too.

If you use a URL for the module set in ~/.jhbuildrc, jhbuild should download and cache the module information from

Our AWT implementation relies on GTK, so jhbuild is a natural fit for
us.  And it looks like jhbuild has the potential to make bootstrapping a
Classpath-based development environment dramatically simpler.

I've run into one problem though.  In the GNU Classpath world, we prefer
to have builddir != srcdir, whereas it seems most GNOME modules, and
hence jhbuild, assume builddir == srcdir.  What do you think about
having a builddir != srcdir mode that could be set in .jhbuildrc?
Shouldn't be too difficult to implement. What layout do you use for your source/build trees in this setup?

James.

--
Email: address@hidden
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/