Re: About locale data ... (again)

From: Guilhem Lavaux
Subject: Re: About locale data ... (again)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:26:17 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 16:30, Guilhem Lavaux wrote:
As we always need a good locale database for GNU Classpath, I was thinking of a way to get it. The ICU locale converter is only partially satisfying as it does not have any collation rules generator (at least). I've seen that www.openi18n.org[1][2] has begun a new standard file format to interchange locale data. It is purely written in XML form and looks well documented. On IBM[3], we can find the locale database waiting to be converted.

This looks like a very promising way to get good locale data for GNU
Classpath. Is there a statement from IBM[3] that the locale database is
free for use by projects like ours (GPL compatible)? If not, then we
need to have a contact address at IBM to explicitly ask for permission.
(I can do that if you want.)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The Copyright & Permission Notice for LDML and the locale data repository is contained in the following file:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/CLDR_status.html

It's the same IBM Licence "do what you want with it" from what I can see.

Cheers,

Guilhem.