Re: About locale data ... (again)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: About locale data ... (again)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:57:18 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 16:30, Guilhem Lavaux wrote:
> As we always need a good locale database for GNU Classpath, I was
> thinking of a way to get it. The ICU locale converter is only partially
> satisfying as it does not have any collation rules generator (at least).
> I've seen that www.openi18n.org[1][2] has begun a new standard file
> format to interchange locale data. It is purely written in XML form and
> looks well documented. On IBM[3], we can find the locale database
> waiting to be converted.

This looks like a very promising way to get good locale data for GNU
Classpath. Is there a statement from IBM[3] that the locale database is
free for use by projects like ours (GPL compatible)? If not, then we
need to have a contact address at IBM to explicitly ask for permission.
(I can do that if you want.)

Cheers,

Mark