Re: Using -revision instead of 0:0:0 hack

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Using -revision instead of 0:0:0 hack
Date: 10 Nov 2004 09:19:12 -0700

>> I attached a patch that illustrates how we use the -revision switch of
>> libtool to say we don't provide a stable binary interface, instead of
>> hardcoded 0:0:0, as it's done currently in gnu cp.

My first reaction was to think that maybe we'd want to someday make a
binary compatible release.

But then it occurred to me that the libraries are purely internal, and
even if we do some "pure java bug fix" point release of Classpath,
distros would probably still end up rebuilding the native code along
with everything else.  Also, packages besides Classpath should never
be using these libraries.

So, I think in our case -release makes sense.  In fact, I'd say we
should go one step further and write something like this everywhere:

    System.loadLibrary("whatever-" + Configuration.LIBRARY_VERSION);

Tom