Fwd: GCJ and CORBA

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Fwd: GCJ and CORBA
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:38:02 +0200

I forward this message that I sent to address@hidden to address@hidden

Hi,

I try to compile GNU Classpath with GCJ (3.4 and 4.0) and stumble over
the following oddity (actually hundreds of them):

../gnu/java/rmi/RMIMarshalledObjectOutputStream.java:52: Fehler: Class
?gnu.java.rmi.RMIMarshalledObjectOutputStream? doesn't define the abstract
method ?void
org.omg.CORBA.portable.OutputStream.write_wstring(java.lang.String)? from class
?org.omg.CORBA.portable.OutputStream?. This method must be defined or class
?gnu.java.rmi.RMIMarshalledObjectOutputStream? must be declared abstract.
   public class RMIMarshalledObjectOutputStream extends RMIObjectOutputStream

It looks like GCJ is confusing java.io.OutputStream (that is what
gnu.java.rmi.RMIMarshalledObjectOutputStream is derived from) with
org.omg.CORBA.portable.OutputStream.
How is that possible? The code looks correct to me, and jikes seems to have no
problem with it. Even if I
fully qualify all ObjectOutputStream references it fails. This is very odd.

I have the following proposals how to handle this:

1. don't import CORBA stuff in the GCJ tree until GCJ is fixed for these issues
and add a configure option
in GNU Classpath --without-corba for those (like me) who would like to use GCJ
for compiling Classpath.

or

2. implement a workaround (oh no, not another one! ;-) ) for GCJs bugs. In this
case I would think
temporarily renaming the CORBA ObjectOutputStream (and other affected
clash-names) would do. This is of
course very ugly, against the specs and whatnot.

Any other suggestions?

/Roman

----- End forwarded message -----