Generics Branch Status

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Generics Branch Status
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:27:56 +0100

Hi all,

A few thing recently have brought my attention to an issue I believe
still exists with the generics branch; namely, what is the status
regards the additions of 1.5 features?  I had assumed the following:

* Features requiring language features, such as generics, enums, etc. go
on the generics branch.
* Anything else goes on HEAD.

Yet there is still a body of code on the generics branch that goes in
the latter category (the valueOf() functions in the primitive classes
for instance).  Should this be merged across?  And what is the general
view on adding modified versions of some classes (e.g. Enum), as has
been proposed, so as to give temporary, primarily run-time support?

Also, re. Jeroen's e-mail, I'd be interested to hear from any VM
implementers who are looking at the generics branch and what support
they need within the class library as regards integrating new features
such as 1.5 reflection support.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }