Re: Implementation details of VMStackWalker

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Implementation details of VMStackWalker
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:09:46 -0500

Ingo Prötel wrote:
I would like to get the common case where private or protected methods
are called before the actual stack check happens. This changes the
current semantic but I feel that it would be more useful and less
fragile to changes of classes that want to use VMStackWalker. If there
is a real need for a method with the current semantic we could just add
a method to the interface for the new semantic.

None of the existing code in Classpath that uses VMStackWalker calls
it through private or protected methods, so I'm not sure why you're
saying that having private and protected methods is a "common case".

Anyway, the reason it's done with the current "simple" semantics is to make
these calls as efficient as possible. Although your semantics would make
things more robust in the future, you have to balance that against
a (probably small) loss of efficiency.

-Archie