Asking our experts on Swing.

From: Meskauskas Audrius
Subject: Asking our experts on Swing.
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:03:30 +0100

This evening I first tried my two player CORBA game. The CORBA works, the socket works, the layout and mouse events are ok - but, unfortunately, the supplementary chatting feature does not work just because it is not possible to put any text into the JTextField.

The JTextArea is cleared after sending the message by JTextField.setText(''"). After I call this method in our Classpath, it refuses to accept any keyboard input, despite I see the cursor. Experimenting, I tried to call JTextField.setText(".....") instead. In this case it was possible to enter the text inside the dotted area (the dots were shifting to the right as expected), but not possible to enter any additional text after clicking outside the dotted area (but still inside the text input field).

It seems that the mouse click right from the area that is already filled in with some text is ignored instead of placing the carret to the end of text and allowing the text input. Basically this means that the JTextField cannot perform one of the main its functions: being initially empty, become focused after the mouse click and then accept the input data.

Does anybody already knows about this problem or could suggest some workaround how to force the input work? On Sun's jre, the program runs without problems.

Audrius