Re: Comment to 0.19

From: David Gilbert
Subject: Re: Comment to 0.19
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:53:56 +0000

theUser BL wrote:

The new version of 0.19 is nice!

Thanks, a lot of people put a lot of hours of work into it and I bet they appreciate the positive feedback!

What me a little bit surprised is, that GNU Classpath becomes the same bugs as Suns Java.

The same is with the shadow under the scrollbar. You can see it in the Scroolbar-Demo of the Swing-Demos. Under the Scrollbar of the top left, there is under the Scrollbar a shadow. But under the buttons of the Scrollbar there isn't one. And I think the shadow is wrong there. But thats the same like in Suns Java. There existing the same bug - since Swing 1.0.3. And I have critisized it very often. But now GNU Classpath doing the same.

I did the work on the MetalScrollBarUI and related classes, and I took the approach of trying to match pixel-for-pixel the appearance of Sun's implementation (I know there are still a few things to fix). That way, we have a totally objective test of what is right and what is wrong. I think if we go down the route of trying to improve the aesthetics of the MetalLookAndFeel, then we start having to make subjective judgements about what looks best. Once you decide to do that, you might as well implement a new look and feel (like JGoodies). That said, I do agree that the scroll bar you refer to doesn't look quite right.

Regards,

Dave Gilbert