Re: Proposal: Graphics2D rewrite branch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Proposal: Graphics2D rewrite branch
Date: 07 Dec 2005 12:05:02 -0700

Tom> I'd like to propose a new branch in the GNU Classpath CVS repository:
Tom> graphics2d-rewrite.  Patches to this branch should be sent to
Tom> address@hidden with a subject line prefix of [g2d rewrite].
Tom> Commit policy is the same as GNU Classpath trunk.

I say go for it.

Furthermore I think we should adopt gcc-ish branch rules.  These are
pretty reasonable and have proven to work well in practice.  Namely:

* Any Classpath developer can make a branch for any purpose.
  All branches ought to be documented somewhere, so we can know which
  are live, who owns them, and when they die.  I don't know where we
  would put this though (suggestions?)

* Some rules can be changed on a branch.  In particular the branch
  maintainer can change the review requirements, and the requirement
  of keeping things building, testing, etc, can also be lifted.
  (These should be documented along with the branch name and owner if
  they differ from the trunk.)

  Requirements for patch email to classpath-patches and for paperwork
  *cannot* be lifted.

* Merges from the trunk to a branch are at the discretion of the
  branch maintainer.

* A merge from a branch to the trunk is treated like any other patch.
  In particular, it has to go through review, it must satisfy all the
  trunk requirements (build, regression test, documentation).

  This rule prevents folks from working around trunk rules by making
  a branch :-)

  There may be additional timing requirements on merging a branch to
  the trunk depending on the release schedule, etc.  For instance we
  may not want to do a branch merge just before a release.

Tom