Re: lists.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org (CVS) updates

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: lists.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org (CVS) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:31:19 -0600

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Subversion support for savannah is planned in the future. And it might
make sense to adopt it then since other projects that rely on GNU
Classpath also use it and it makes merging easier. On the other hand

That would be great.

subversion is still a bit immature and not widely supported yet (for
example on builder.classpath.org we needed to install the latest
1.3.0rc4 to get around some network timeout issues). CVS might be old
and clumsy at times, it is much more mature and supported atm. That
said, if savannah adds subversion support I would vote for us to switch.

I think you're information is slightly dated :-) Subversion is quite
matture. The 1.0 release, which itself was very stable, was released
almost two years ago. Now they're up to version 1.2.3.

For example, all of Apache is on a single Subversion server
and they're up to revision #356264 (including imported CVS commits).
We've used it at my real job for over a year with zero problems.

As far as being "supported", not sure what you're referring to.
Everything I've ever wanted to do with CVS I can do with SVN, plus
a lot more.

-Archie