Re: lists.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org (CVS) updates

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: lists.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org (CVS) updates
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:01:56 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 13:42 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Mark> Or the fact
> Mark> that you really need to setup an external diff command since the
> Mark> built-in one is not capable enough.
>
> ?  I haven't noticed this one.

See the bottom of http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnSetup
Again, not a showstopper, just another example of small configuration
issues. They do add up for people and it takes some time to be as
productive as before. Just like the fact that emacs or eclipse doesn't
come with subversion support out of box but require additional scripts
and plugins. Not a big deal, but still annoying when you are used to the
availability of CVS in each and every tool out there.

> Mark> Also importing an old CVS repository like all of GCC seems possible now
> Mark> but there were some small anomalies. So the switch will have to be done
> Mark> carefully and will take some time to get right and double check.
>
> GCC has a long and complicated history, including evil repository
> hacking and re-basing branches using 'cvs admin'.  I'm sure the
> Classpath import won't be as bad.

I do hope so. But it will take time, energy and some patience to do it
correctly and check the conversion.

Lets continue the discussion if/when savannah actually support
subversion. No need to start nitpicking the pros and cons at this time.
I actually think we will agree that all the little drawbacks/flaws are
nothing compared to the productivity boost in the long run.

Cheers,

Mark