classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Commerical use of classpathx code

From: Hugh Greene
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Commerical use of classpathx code
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:09:54 +0100

Sadly all this is now moot as my boss chivvied me along to just do something slightly more awkwardly, with SAX, but I thought I'd reply to let you know a bit more about the issues from my point of view.

At 00:33 2001-08-22 +0100, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> For a definitive, final answer, you might want to wait for the project
> lead to ring in. Any comments, Nic?

I will be clairifying the position with classpathx as soon as all the
classpathx developers are happy to gpl+excep their code ...

The position with Dave's JAXP stuff, as I understand it, is that it IS
GPL+exceptioned ...

Well, for now the comments in those files in CVS (as seen from your webpage) say "GPL", so I have to take it as such.

My understanding of changes is that you have to textually change
something before you get the GPL virus.

Nope, I just have to "link with" it:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

I'm sure Java's class loading counts as "linking with" the loaded classes so, unless your code is LGPL'ed or GLP+ex'ed, nobody can use it in a commercial program, if they intend to distribute that program. It's possible for someone to write some in-house software and, because they're not distributing it, not have any problem with the GPL; but I'm not certain that applies to my situation, so I can't do that.

I would ask you not to [remove bits] if you can avoid it though ...

I didn't necessarily want to remove bits, really, I just wasn't sure where the boundaries were, and what minimal set of code I'd need to get working the bit I wanted.

Hope that answers your questions, I am struggling with a change of
site (and of mailing system) so I'm not as communicative as I normally
might be... rest assured that if you ask stuff here I will
(eventually) get round to answering it.

Thanks to you all for your answers. ClasspathX looks like useful stuff so I hope it gets a licence which allows commercial use :-) But if not, I may yet end up using it in spare-time, free-software projects ...

Cheers,
Hugh