Re: Separate obj tree

From: Doug Alcorn
Subject: Re: Separate obj tree
Date: 02 Oct 2000 13:54:57 -0400

Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> writes:

> (require 'uniquify)
> (setq
>  backup-by-copying-when-linked t
>  find-file-existing-other-name t
>  uniquify-buffer-name-style 'post-forward-angle-brackets
>  compilation-search-path '(nil "src/")
> )

My bad, I was looking for functions by these names. ;)  However,

,----[ C-h v find-file-compare-truenames ]

| If this is true, then the find-file command will check the truenames
| of all visited files when deciding whether a given file is already in
| a buffer, instead of just the buffer-file-name.  This means that if you
| attempt to visit another file which is a symbolic-link to a file which is
| already in a buffer, the existing buffer will be found instead of a newly-
| created one.  This works if any component of the pathname (including a non-
| terminal component) is a symbolic link as well, but doesn't work with hard
| links (nothing does).
`----

In this manner (as per your quote from buffer.c), I think XEmacs and
Emacs handle hard links differently.  Does
find-file-existing-other-name really work in GNU Emacs for hard links?
 If so, I would expect XEmacs should at least have an option for
providing the same functionality.
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:address@hidden http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Unix Hacker