Re: Debugging dependencies

From: Bob Sidebotham
Subject: Re: Debugging dependencies
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:15:55 -0800 (PST)

I think that most, if not all, problems of this nature come down to
Cons believing that a file is a source file even though it is actually
derived somehow, explicitly or implicitly, in the process of a build.
This could be for various reasons (multiple names for files, hidden
circularities, explicit code to touch files, etc.). There are two
things that could be done that would make these easy to find:

1. Patch -d to show the signature of each file. Then you can figure out
which source files changed by simply diffing the output from two runs.
I'll bet you a nickel that this simple change would pinpoint Eric's
problem.

2. Cache source signatures. Then cons *knows* which source files have
changed, and this information can be displayed directly, rather than
having to resort to a diff (the only problem with this is the problem
of caching information for read-only trees using the existing .consign
mechanism. Of course, if they're *truly* read-only, then magic updating
of those source files wouldn't be a problem in the first place).

Bob