RE: Microsoft and IDE builds

From: Greg Spencer
Subject: RE: Microsoft and IDE builds
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:49:48 -0600

Yes, I'd like to see any good references too.  I've searched for such a
thing before, with no luck.

My feeling is that MS really just wants you to do it their way, and if
you don't feel like it, then you can roll your own (which is what most
quality-minded software companies which have large projects do, in my
experience).  Their API for hooking into the build process is woefully
lacking in the version 6 line of MSDEV products -- let's hope they fix
that in the .NET (version 7) versions (but I'm not holding my breath).

Internally, MS considers VC++ to be a toy (iow: not for large,
complicated projects), and they have their own home-rolled build system
(based on an internal version of nmake) which they use for all their
large projects (Office products, etc).

                                -Greg.