Re: Building a source multiple times

From: Brad Garcia
Subject: Re: Building a source multiple times
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:57:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> I would like to get your opinion. We have developers who want to compile a
> source file multiple times using different preprocessor symbols in the
> same build. The objs are then linked into various executables.

I'm confused.

Do you compile the same file multiple times (with different preprocessor
defines), and then link more than one copy of the resulting object file
into the same executable?

Or does each of the resulting object files get linked into separate
executables?

And is there some fixed structure to decide which version(s) of the object
file gets linked into an executable, or is this decided by the developer
during each individual compile?

> Finally, I am wondering why the need to compile a file more than once in
> the same variant build is not supported.

I believe it is.  You just have to use a different target file name each
time.  I can think of a couple ways to accomplish this, if that is enough
to solve your problem.

You could use the Link directive to build each variation of the file in
a different directory, or you can make copies of the source file using
slightly different names, then build them.

But I probably need a better description of your problem to help you.

Brad Garcia