Re: Library installation issue

From: Bob Sidebotham
Subject: Re: Library installation issue
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:08:38 -0800 (PST)

--- "F. Schoenahl" <address@hidden> wrote:
> How do I trigger the installation process? (not found command line
> options for that)

You use the Install method to, in effect, create a rule that says how
the installed file is created from another file. The Conscript file
that does this would typically use a parameter passed in from above to
determine where to actually install the file.

The key here is that the Install method does not actually install
anything--it creates an association between the target and source file
with an installation rule which is triggered only if you request that
the target (or its containing directory) be built.

If everything is installed in, say, a directory hierarchy named
"export" relative to the Cons root directory, then "cons export" will
trigger the build rules for everything in that directory. If those
rules include Install rules, then those installations will be done--but
only after all prerequisites are built.

You can also use "cons .". This will build everything that's installed
or built locally. "cons /" will probably build everything that's
installed external to the tree, but I'm no longer sure about that (I
haven't used cons for a few years...).

The difference between "cons export" and "cons ." is that the former
will only build just enough of the system to satisfy the needs for what
has to be installed in the export directory. Anything else (e.g. tests
that are not installed, extra object files, etc.) will not be
installed. "cons .", on the other hand, will build absolutely
everything.

> How can I generate the library if all objects are stored in their
> respective directories?

The Library method can be invoked multiple times in different
directories by different Conscript files for the same target library.
The final library will be created with all the files mentioned.

> By the way, it would be great to have examples of constructs ready to
> download, it would avoid the usual syntax errors we do when not
> familiar with perl ;)

Cons is no longer actively maintained. While it does work pretty well
as advertised, development focus is on SCons, a similar system written
in Python rather than Perl. I encourage you to check SCons out. The
user community for SCons is growing and supportive.

Bob