Announcement: pcons -- parallel cons

From: VictNr
Subject: Announcement: pcons -- parallel cons
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:59:53 -0400

All,

I am attaching a version of cons based on 2.2 that has been modified to allow
parallel compilations to happen -- within a directory.  Bob Sidebotham did most
of this work for us, and we have been using it here at Marconi now for a few
months, and it works great.

Note that it is different than some other attempts to add parallelization to
cons in the past.  Those attempts did not work for us here at Marconi because
we have some very complicated dependencies, and for us, that other code would
build something before its dependencies had been built.

But, this version works well for us.  Changes from version 2.2 are:

New command-line arguments:

     -j        Allow up to <jobs> jobs to be spawned in parallel

     -M        Display input to the MD5 algorithm (for debugging
               dependancy changes)

New argument to UseCache:

     partialmix:regex
         When partialmix is enabled, the user supplies a regular
         expression to be used to strip off some portion of the
         target pathname.  For example, if you have two target
         platforms that each have an export/ and obj/ directory:

                      export/platform_1/
                      export/platform_2/
                      obj/platform_1/
                      obj/platform_2/

         ...you could supply 'partialmix:^\w+?/\w+?/' as the
         modifier.  This will strip off the first two directory
         names.  If two files underneath these two directories
         are found to have the same set of inputs, they will be
         able to share a cache entry, speeding up builds between
         platforms.

The perldoc stuff in the code should be up-to-date.

If someone wants to post this out to the web somewhere, feel free.  Also, if
someone wants to post a diff/patch file for this, feel free.

And, if there are any problems, let me know.

Vic

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.