Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Hugo Roy
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:19:24 +0100

Le vendredi 01 février 2013 à 10:07 +0100, Frank Karlitschek a écrit :

> >  b. If the person can choose _any_ conditions, he can choose
> >     conditions that exploit him.  Lots of services demand users
> agree
> >     to unfair conditions.  For instance, Facebook demands users
> agree
> >     that Facebook can use their photos in ads.
>
> That's an interesting point. It's true that a user can choose bad or
> stupid conditions. (Like many on Facebook do.)
> But what would be the alternative? We can't force conditions on the
> users to protect them from themselfs. I think it is freedom that the
> users can decide for themselves even if stupid people do stupid
> things.

The user data manifesto is not about
copyright, etc. We all agree copyright in its current state is
alienating and that free software is good. This sentence does not
contradict that and does not make an apology for someone choosing
to distribute proprietary software. But I think that would be a
mistake to have that argument here, it is not the goal. This
document does not focus on the behaviour of the user, it tries to
give more freedom and rights to the user by giving responsibility
and obligations to the service provider. So let's not miss the
goal and focus on that, instead of also trying to address
different issues.
--
Hugo Roy
  FSFE Legal Team Deputy Coordinator