Re: [GNU/consensus] Who are the new kids on the block?

From: Nick Jennings
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Who are the new kids on the block?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:09:42 -0700

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12 March 2013 18:45, Nick Jennings <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Melvin Carvalho
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Favourite project at the moment:
>> >
>> > https://my-profile.eu/
>> >
>> > Main reasons: is that it has excellent use of URLs, is decentralized,
>> > respects privacy, and scales to billions.
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but:
>>
>> How is it decentralized and how does it scale? Once you create a
>> profile there, it's dependant on that site:
>>
>> https://my-profile.eu/people/<username> /card#me
>

> Thanks for bringing this up.  This is exactly what I mean by excellent use
> of URLs.
>
> Although you CAN use that URL to login to the site, I can also login with
> any URL that displays my public key.
>
> In my case I login via my homepage: http://melvincarvalho.com/
>
> In the case of Tim Berners-Lee he can (and does) login with
> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i

Is that a quality of my-profile.eu? That, to me, seems like you are
describing FOAF in Linked Data... right? In that case I don't
understand what that site has to do with it, other than confusing
people with an ambiguously purposed (and not explained) profile-ish
site. To new-comers the whole thing is confusing and obtuse IMO. I'm
not sure what the 'project' is for that site.

Just playing devils advocate a bit