Re: [GNU/consensus] Who are the new kids on the block?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Who are the new kids on the block?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:19:06 +0100

On 12 March 2013 19:09, Nick Jennings <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12 March 2013 18:45, Nick Jennings <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Melvin Carvalho
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Favourite project at the moment:
>> >
>> > https://my-profile.eu/
>> >
>> > Main reasons: is that it has excellent use of URLs, is decentralized,
>> > respects privacy, and scales to billions.
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but:
>>
>> How is it decentralized and how does it scale? Once you create a
>> profile there, it's dependant on that site:
>>
>> https://my-profile.eu/people/<username> /card#me
>

> Thanks for bringing this up.  This is exactly what I mean by excellent use
> of URLs.
>
> Although you CAN use that URL to login to the site, I can also login with
> any URL that displays my public key.
>
> In my case I login via my homepage: http://melvincarvalho.com/
>
> In the case of Tim Berners-Lee he can (and does) login with
> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i

Is that a quality of my-profile.eu? That, to me, seems like you are
describing FOAF in Linked Data... right? In that case I don't
understand what that site has to do with it, other than confusing
people with an ambiguously purposed (and not explained) profile-ish
site. To new-comers the whole thing is confusing and obtuse IMO. I'm
not sure what the 'project' is for that site.

You're diving into implementation specifics here.  It's more important to understand URLs and opacity first and how you can use them to build a scalable system.  Then look at implementation possibilities.  There's a need to separate the abstract from the specific when considering architecture.

Just playing devils advocate a bit

Did you try clicking the link in the footer?

http://myprofile-project.org/