Re: [GNU/consensus] fsn qualifiability parameters

From: hellekin (GNU/consensus)
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] fsn qualifiability parameters
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:21:04 -0300

On 03/15/2013 05:35 AM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>> *** If the software is free, terms of service should become less
>> relevant, or even irrelevant, or did I miss something?
>
> Yes, you do.  Facebook could be 100% free software, but as you as the
> user don't run the code, they are not obliged to give it to you.

*** Ah yes, I live in a future where all software running over the
network is released under the GNU Affero General Public License version
3, or (at your convenience) any later version. :|

> Furthermore, even if they were 100% free software AND the code was
> public, as long as you use their servers to host your data, you're
> still not in control (RMS has said a lot about this subject, btw.).

*** There again, I live in a future where people exert technological
sovereignty, and Freedom Boxes, protected by home inviolability, make
the bulk of individual servers in the IPv6 end-to-end, unrestricted
Internet.

> So we need a solution that is free software and that each user
> runs on his own system.  Then the "terms of service" will be the
> free software license, and then there is no problem.

*** Thank you for the heads up. Time traveling back to the present and
contemplate the ugly situation can be somewhat painful. As you can see,
the discrepancy between what is and what should be, and the powerful
anti-freedom forces make our work even more important, and even more
necessary.

Cheers,

==
hk