Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] This Is (NOT) The War Room

From: Nick Jennings
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] This Is (NOT) The War Room
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 01:50:38 +0100

I second that motion!

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Michael Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:

Hellekin, thanks for that much needed intervention. I agree that "What
is it you want to achieve?" is the question we should ask ourselves. I
think we'll discover a surprising amount of agreement in our answers.

Answering for myself, I want to support freedom of _expression_, freedom
of association, and the right to a private life. I don't think current
communication systems support those things well enough, so I want to
build communication systems that support them better. I hope we're all
more or less in agreement there.

Where I think we differ is on the question of means. Some of us have
been disagreeing on that question, more or less vocally, since we
first met, and I don't expect we'll ever reach consensus.

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FINE.

We don't have to agree about means. We don't have to find one
approach, or one project, that we can all get behind and push. We can
and should look at the problem from many angles, try many approaches
in parallel, fork and merge, imitate and appropriate, reuse pieces we
found on the scrapheap. THAT'S HOW SHIT GETS BUILT. Not by bickering
about what "we" should be doing, but by each of us doing something.

Which means it's time for me to shut up and write some code.

Cheers,
Michael