Re: [GNU/consensus] Fwd: An Update from the Name Resolution Trenches

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Fwd: An Update from the Name Resolution Trenches
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:12:43 -0300

On 01/26/2015 12:02 PM, carlo von lynX wrote:
> Useful mail, thank you.
> Regarding Mr Connery's personal opinion however:
>
>> I have a suggestion to the tor, gnunet, i2p, and
>> other overlay communities.  It seems likely to me
>> that the IANA will not be too happy about reserving
>> all of .onion, .exit, .gnu, .zkey, .i2p and .bit.
>> I suggest that you ask for ONLY ONE pTLD.  For
>> example, .p2p, and then stick all your specifics inside
>> that.  e.g
>>
>>  .onion.p2p
>>  .gnu.p2p
>
> Yes yes, bow to politics and bureaucracy.. would be so
> amusing if by 2030 hardly anyone is using traditional
> DNS and therefore all Internet business happens over
> something .p2p, yet for backwards compatibility there's
> always this senseless .p2p in the way.
>
> Also, public-key routing is not limited to P2P architectures.

*** The authors of the P2P Names Internet Draft[0] thought a lot about
the possibility of applying for a single TLD for GNUnet, I2P, Namecoin,
and Tor.  We came to the conclusion that it does not make any sense:

1. it would require a lot changes in the existing deployments.  This is
probably the least of the issues, but this is still considerable work
(and cost) as well as prone to breaking a lot of legacy working code.

2. each of the six pTLDs have a different way to manage names and to
resolve them.  It would be confusing for both implementors and users to
have them all under one tree.

3. a single TLD introduces the issue of who manages the assignation of
names under this TLD.  As the .alt I.-D.[1] demonstrates, by proposing a
first-come-first-served-but-without-guarantee-of-uniqueness, this is
likely to be a mess, but our proposal is simple and clear.

4. existing TLDs such as .test, .example, .invalid, .localhost
(RFC2606), as well as .local (RFC6762), etc. should then receive the
same treatment and all move under a single TLD.  That is unlikely to
happen, and it makes to technical sense.

5. the only valid argument in favor of a single TLD is to validate the
superiority of the top-down hierarchical tree and consider any alternate
approach as an annoying and invading experiment.  That is not a
technical approach.  And that is not loyal to the permissive-network and
end-to-end fundamental axioms of the Cerf/Khan Internet Protocol that
made it future-proof and wildly successful.

Additionally, 2. and 3. bring another usability issue.  Consider HTTPS,
the HyperText Transfer Protocol, whose final "S" either means "perfectly
forward secure" or "completely compromised".  That is confusing.  Now
it's complicated enough for users to make a difference between two
similar but completely different HTTPS--one secure, one not.  How would
you expect that they make a difference between different P2P systems and
their scope, threat models, privacy implications, etc., if they all went
under a single .p2p (or whatever) TLD?  TLD is made to distinguish one
thing from another: If I hit .de, it's a German site, if I hit .int, it
belongs to the United Nations.  If I hit a .p2p, it's... Peer-to-peer?
Really?  Should we move all legacy applications under .c2s for
client-to-server?  Of course not.  If P2P Names share commonalities,
they are also different from each other.  They belong to the same
"family" as far as IANA is concerned, because it makes sense
technically, and also for implementors, it makes sense to look up one
RFC and find them there.

In conclusion, refusing to grant 6 names instead of a single one when
RFC1591 declared "[i]t is extremely unlikely that any other TLDs will be
created", and when RFC6762 reserved 6 names (one TLD and 5 in-addr.arpa
names), in the year the Root Zone became crowded with .boo, .fail, .foo,
.porn, .sucks, .wtf and a thousand others is kind of insulting.

Regards,

==
hk

[0]