[GNU/consensus] Highlanders

From: hellekin
Subject: [GNU/consensus] Highlanders
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:14:12 -0300

Nafeez Ahmed published a couple of very deep investigative journalism,
"Inside the secret network behind mass surveillance, endless war, and
Skynet"

- - Part 1: How the CIA made Google [0]
- - Part 2: Why Google made the NSA [1]

That is a very well documented piece of historical information about the
current takeover by the U.S. military-industrial complex over the world.
 Total World Domination, for real.  Most of the information contained in
this series were previously known, but Nafeez Ahmed draws a clear
picture of the power circles and influential networks at work, notably
the Highlands Forum.

Much recommended reading.  Among the resources linked to the articles,
you will find the selected references, links and background reading from
the National Security Strategies for a Transparent World, June 29. 2010,
courtesy of the American Bar Association [2].  This list contains a
treasure trove for cyberpunk-inspired hackers--only too real--and
notably some strategy documents revealing the intent of the shadow
military-industrial complex regarding mass surveillance.

That is a long reading, coming in addition to the enormous amount of
data from the Snowden leaks that were compiled so far [3], that contains
everything we need to convince anyone that Web 2.0 is wrong, that Google
is not our friend, that mass surveillance must be thwarted if we are to
live on this planet without being under the panoptical influence of a
paranoid and heavily biased and belligerent elite.

As Barret Brown stated in his allocution [4] to the Court during his
trial, we've moved away from the rule of law: "This is not the 'rule of
law', Your Honor", he said, "it is the 'rule of law enforcement', and it
is very dangerous."  And already, prominent voices such as Quinn
Norton's, fade away as they step back from a system that, day after day,
month after month, law after law, attack on democracy after attack on
freedom, shrinks the public space and forum where ideas and
contradiction can occur and confront each other in a civil way, as in
any responsible conversation among free citizens.

I shall refrain posting such political comments in the future but it
seemed appropriate at this moment, as we're here to discuss and help
shape technology that will prevent the collapse of a free society
online, and help flourish a diverse and healthy discourse and social
activity that will shape our lives and communities for the times to
come.  Ignoring the big picture is not only irresponsible, it is
suicidal.  As automation is becoming pervasive, and technology
increasingly ignores cultural, social, and legal safeguards, we must
remain fully aware of our roles as technologists, and especially as
creators and promoters of free technology for the benefit of all, where
we stand.

==
hk

[0]: https://medium.com/@NafeezAhmed/how-the-cia-made-google-e836451a959e