Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Frank Karlitschek
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 21:13:31 -0500

> On Nov 15, 2015, at 17:34, Melvin Carvalho <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On 1 January 2013 at 01:17, hellekin (GNU Consensus) <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://userdatamanifesto.org/ proposes 8 points "defining basic rights
> for people to control their own data in the internet age"
>
> I'd like to reach consensus on officially supporting this manifesto:
>
> Resurrecting an old thread.  I've been pondering this for the last couple of
> years, and I think I have worked out some basic common issues:
>
> UDM 2.0 is a good start but it doesnt address the basic issues that we have.
> ie we dont have data freedom, in a practical sense.  Even those loving free
> software are not always offering data freedom.  Often we dont know what it
> means, so let's teach people.
>
> The general high level aim of data freedom is complete control over all your
> data.  I divide it into two sections:
>
> 1. Where it is stored
>
> This is about the data being able to control where the data is stored and
> perform operations on that data.
>
> 1.1 The user can choose where the data is stored
>
> 1.2 The user is free to view all their data.
>
> 1.3 The user is free to modify all their data the way they want, including
> adding arbitrary new fields, deleting anything existing
>
> 1.4 The user is free to move their data, provided that they are responsible
> for links to the old location
>

> 2. How the data is stored
>
> 2.1 The user is entitled to share their data, including on a global scale
>
> 2.2 The user can choose the format in which the data is stored (conforming to
> common standards)
>
> This is PARTICULARLY important.  The USER decides NOT the developer.
>
> 2.3 The user is able to protect and privacy control their data, determining
> exactly who sees what
>
> 2.4 The user is entitled to notify other users when updates to their data
> occurs

I think this makes a lot of sense. The only ‘problem’ with this draft is that
it is quite complex and detailed which doesn’t make it necessarily easier for
users to fully understand.
A design goal of UDM2 was to have it really simple and easy to get.

> I think this is roughly what you need.  Take your own system and rate
> yourself honestly on how well you do.  I noticed those that signed up to UDM
> 2.0 didnt always pass the tests.
>
> Too long have we been in a world were users have 90% freedom but cant get the
> last most important bit of power out of their machines.  The problem now isnt
> proprietary software, it's developer restrictions.  Let's open our eyes to
> where we are failing.
>
> I believe we've got a great system that ready to deliver data freedom on the
> web, which should be a key strategic battle ground
>
> https://github.com/solid/solid-spec

Yes. Very interesting. We at ownCloud are looking into ways to support this.

> I spoke to frank (owncloud) last week, and I think there could be the basis
> of collaboration on here.
>
> But we need much more help, to make this happen.  Let's free people's data
> and reclaim the internet!

Absolutely! Let’s see what we can do to collaborate!

Frank