crack-attack-devel

Re: [crack-attack-devel] IPv6 patch for crack-attack

From: A.O.
Subject: Re: [crack-attack-devel] IPv6 patch for crack-attack
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:34:37 +0200

On Thu, 5 May 2005 21:08:15 -0400
Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thursday 05 May 2005 04:45 pm, A.O. wrote:
> > are you interested in a patch that makes crack-attack work for both
> > IPv4 and IPv6?
>
> i would be ;)

Ok, here's the patch against today's CVS code.
It is a bit raw and experimental, but it can get better with your help.
As you can see from the code the patch makes crack-attack independent
from the Address Family [1], so it can work with virtually any Network
protocol supported by the socket interface...
The usefulness of the AF-independent approach is that the application
demands to the OS the coice of the network protocol to use, if more than
one is available. I tested it a bit and it seems to work well, but it
can be useful to test the patch in a IPv4-only environment (i's not my
case) to verify that it does not break anything.

> it's quiet common for apps that support both ipv4 and ipv6 to have
> '-4' and  '-6' options so you can specify whether you want to force
> ipv4 or ipv6 ...  also, i'm sure there's plenty of people around here
> who can help out with  autotools
> -mike

This choice can be added, of course, but maybe it can be more useful a
--bind option for the server part, to make the server listen only on a
given address, if thare are many. The -6 and -4 switches would be
trivial to implement but using them it sounds to me like breaking
the concept of Address Family Independance.

I do not know if my code works on Windows, does Windows have a good
getnameinfo implementation?

Last note: shouldn't the gui show the address(es) on witch the server
can listen? (Instead of 127.0.0.1)

Any comment?

Have a good time,
   Antonio.