dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] nullfs 0.0.2 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] nullfs 0.0.2 posted
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:04:09 +0200

Hi,

I have posted version 0.0.2 of nullfs. Other than cleaning up the
appearance of the code a bit, the only real change is support for
Linux 2.6.25. This new version will _only_ work with 2.6.25 because
the nameidata struct was changed in the newest kernel. Unlike my
previous efforts with Dazuko, I will _NOT_ support every kernel
version available. I will only support the latest stable release from
Linus' kernel tree. This is important for me because I want the code
to be ready for merging into mainline at all times. (That wouldn't be
possible if the code was filled with tons of ugly ifdef's to cover
every version.)

I am now testing nullfs by running it on my personal laptop. I've
stacked several ext3 directories and even an hfsplus mount. My
/etc/fstab is attached in case anyone is interested in seeing how I'm
testing. I have not yet experienced any problems.

You'll notice that I have only stacked directories that are read-only
and do not contain system-critical utilities (such as /lib or
/sbin). And I definately have _not_ stacked /home, since that is where
my sacred data lies. (Although it should be clear that I am still
taking a risk by stacking on other directories within the same
partition that /home is on.)

>From the CHANGELOG:

0.0.2 (2008-04-27)
- changed to support Linux 2.6.25
- release root items when initial interpose fails

John Ogness

#
 <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc         defaults
 0       0
/dev/hda4       /               ext3         defaults,errors=remount-ro,noatime
 0       1
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660  user,noauto
 0       0
/swap           none            swap         sw
 0       0
/dev/hda3       /osx            hfsplus      ro,noatime
 0       0
/opt            /opt            nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/osx            /osx            nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/bin        /usr/bin        nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/games      /usr/games      nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/include    /usr/include    nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/lib        /usr/lib        nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/local      /usr/local      nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/sbin       /usr/sbin       nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/share      /usr/share      nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/src        /usr/src        nullfs       defaults
 0       0
/usr/X11R6      /usr/X11R6      nullfs       defaults
 0       0
--
Dazuko Maintainer