dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Re: [Dazuko-help] v3.1.1 causes system hangs & crashes on

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Re: [Dazuko-help] v3.1.1 causes system hangs & crashes on kernel 2.6.31 (Debian Etch)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:31:16 +0200

On 2009-10-24, Bobyr Raisa Efimovna <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've got some "good" news. I've been able to reproduce this problem
>> with the game "armagetronad". Now I can start investigating what is
>> causing it...
>
> No jokes as good, just imagine if such heavy problem happens after
> incoroprating into the Linux kernel :)

If it was in the Linux kernel, we'd have a lot more help getting it
fixed correctly.

> It seems that drivers tapping into file-system (like yours ) should
> be tested on all applications which intensively write/access a lot
> of files to user homes - browsers, office packages, some games,
> antivirals..

Agreed. That's why it is good when people like you report problems.

The problem is that the kernel is trying to write to a memory-mapped
file, even though it may only be opened read-only. DazukoFS does not
support memory-mapped writing, so does not expect the kernel to
attempt it. I will need to take a deeper look at why this is
happening.

For now, I have added an extra hook in DazukoFS to return an error
when the kernel tries to do this. It works for me. Could you also try
it?

http://dazuko.dnsalias.org/files/dazukofs-3.1.1-20091024.tar.gz

When I get some more time, I'll take a closer look at why the kernel
is trying to mmap-write to DazukoFS.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer