ddd

Questions about display and memory with gdb and a remote target?

From: Benoit MILLOT
Subject: Questions about display and memory with gdb and a remote target?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:30:55 +0100

Hello,

I'm working on host sparc-sun-solaris2.6 with gcc2.8.1 and DDD3.2.1
(GDB-5.0).

I have added into gdb a new target (Tbug) using monitor_ops for
target=m68k-coff.

This target had a own embedded debugger called Tbug which allows all
elementary operations (breakpoints, registers, memory ) and more.
It works with host connected via serial port using a tip or cu (like a
console).
Memory read/write operation on Tbug are single (byte, word, long) or
block (write max 16 bytes / read max 256 bytes).

1) Using GDB without DDD, all memory operation work fine and dump of big
structure using block, allows not lost too many time.
With DDD, the operation "graph display struct_bidule" works fine but box
displays function result without value.
Example:
        (gdb) print rle_eth_base.brdg_mode_fonc
        target_xfer_memory (0x45fddea, xxx, 4, read, xxx) = 2, bytes = 00 00
        $1 = 4578
        (gdb) graph display rle_eth_base.nb_acces

        box displays :
                1: rle_eth_base.nb_acces
                target_xfer_memory (0x45fddea, xxx, 4, read, xxx) = 2

I want display :
                1: rle_eth_base.nb_acces
                4578

What do I make in order to have value instead of function result ?

2) When I use machine code window, target's code is load with a lot of
target_xfer_memory call of 2 or 4 bytes not with 256 bytes block. That
slows down debug operation.
3) With command Data->Memory, the operation make multiple
(=examine_value) target_xfer_memory call of bytes, halfwords, word or
giants.

Apparently, DDD doesn't work with dumping memory block.
If this conclusion is wrong, what do I make in order to work with memory
block (in gdb or DDD) ?

Thanks.

                        Benoît