ddd

Suggestion: array-of-structures slices

From: Mihai Basa
Subject: Suggestion: array-of-structures slices
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:53:34 +0000

Hello!

DDD can plot values from a slice of an array - IF that array is made up of
base datatypes. It cannot plot slices if the array is made of structures, and
I believe it would be very useful if it could!

Example: assume we have an array A[100] made up of structures like this:

typedef struct {
    int x;
    int y;
};

I think it would be good if DDD could plot/display the string of A.x'es. The
syntax describing this would probably best be: (address@hidden).x   (which
currently
just displays A[0].x). This means reading an array of 100 elements, starting
from A[0] with a stride equal to sizeof(A[0]). Currently DDD can only read
with a stride of sizeof(x), if we were to say (A[0].x)@100, which reads
alternating x'es and y'es.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Deepest regards,
Mihai Basa