ddd

Re: unicode strings

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: unicode strings
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:02:24 +0200

Gadi Bergman wrote:
Hello,

I wish to view Unicode strings (wchar_t*), even in English.

Is it possible? If not, will it ever be possible?

Thanks,

Gadi.

There are several possible problems with doing this.

Firstly, the underlying debugger would have to display
Unicode strings.  I don't know whether gdb can do this
yet, but if it can't then that's the first place to ask.

Secondly, there would have to be a way to let ddd know
what encoding gdb and the application are using.  Since
you mention wchar_t, I assume that this isn't UTF-8.
It mightn't be sufficient to simply use $LANG, since
DDD might be running on a completely different host
from gdb, which in turn might be on a different host
from the application being debugged.

Thirdly, we would have to fight the ongoing battle with
geting Motif to play I18N nicely; presently, your best
bet is to use LessTif or "unset LANG".

Sorry if this sounds a bit depressing.  On the positive
side, I'd welcome any patches in this area.

Andrew.