ddd

ddd and makedb status

From: ddd
Subject: ddd and makedb status
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:16:55 -0500

ddd and makedb (the GNU Make debugger) largely work. The automatic
check for a Makefile seems to work and the file is read in. ddd parses
line/file information correctly. It figures out what commands exist
such as step/next, up/down/frame, run (via "help"). It can even show
the automatic variables set (via "info locals").

There are a couple of things that could be improved and I don't
know/remember where they are. Probably the most useful would be when
the cursor over a variable in the source window. The problem is in
understanding that the "variable" lookup should have the enclosing
$(). That is a lookup of $(MAKE) rather MAKE. For bash this seems to
work, the $ or ${} is prepended, so I may have looked at the code once
before. But where is it?

Another small thing is ddd's automatic parameter dialog creation. I
was unexpectedly and very pleasantly surprised to see this work in
bash. The way I think it figures this out is by issuing "show"
commands and looking for "is off" "is on" (for booleans) and "is *n*"
for numbers. What's odd is that I had this working at one point by
just hacking those constant strings in the show documentation.