ddd

RE: Dumb question about fonts

From: Atwood, Robert C
Subject: RE: Dumb question about fonts
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 19:21:11 -0000

Okay I thought I would start looking into this by debugging ddd in ddd
but I find that I am stumped by something that seems like it should be
quite basic.
I am getting a 'No symbol xxxx in current context' when as far as I am
aware, the symbol DOES exist in the current context, at least the
program (ddd) seems to run! . I have endeavoured to  ensure that the
instance that is being debugged has not been optimized (so the varible
is not optimized out, I believe) using CXXFLAGS=-ggdb (also tried -g )
Why else might a variable not be in scope when it looks like it is?

Thanks ,
Robert
[Ps Also "$Id$" at line 1 and 31 of options.C probably is meant to be
"$Id:$"  This is similar in several other files... umm .. almost all
other files... ]

I can get the same result in command line gdb, which is easier to
represent here..

Breakpoint 1, save_options (flags=1024) at options.C:2346
2346        const bool create        = (flags & CREATE_OPTIONS);
(gdb) list
2341        return ok;
2342    }
2343
2344    bool save_options(unsigned long flags)
2345    {
2346        const bool create        = (flags & CREATE_OPTIONS);
2347        const bool save_session  = (flags & SAVE_SESSION);
2348        const bool save_geometry = (flags & SAVE_GEOMETRY);
2349        const bool interact      = (flags & MAY_INTERACT);
2350
(gdb)
2351        string session =
2352            (save_session ? app_data.session :
DEFAULT_SESSION.chars());
2353
2354        create_session_dir(session);
2355        const string file = session_state_file(session);
2356
2357        string options = (save_session ? "session" : "options");
2358        string status = (create ? "Creating " : "Saving ") + options
+ " in ";
2359
2360        StatusDelay delay(status + quote(file));
(gdb) next
2347        const bool save_session  = (flags & SAVE_SESSION);
(gdb)
2348        const bool save_geometry = (flags & SAVE_GEOMETRY);
(gdb)
2349        const bool interact      = (flags & MAY_INTERACT);
(gdb)
2352            (save_session ? app_data.session :
DEFAULT_SESSION.chars());
(gdb)
2354        create_session_dir(session);
(gdb) print session
No symbol "session" in current context.
(gdb) whatis session
No symbol "session" in current context.
(gdb)
(gdb) whatis create
type = <text variable, no debug info>
(gdb) whatis save_session
No symbol "save_session" in current context.
(gdb) whatis save_geometry
No symbol "save_geometry" in current context.