ddd

Re: DDD 3.3.11 for beginners in assembly programming

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: DDD 3.3.11 for beginners in assembly programming
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:09:20 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: DDD 3.3.11 for beginners in assembly programming, R....:

Some comments on what I found.

1. The styles regs.vsl, flags.vsl which for dealing with those Intel
  x86 registers and Intel register flags I think should be renamed
  something more Intel x86 suggestive, like i386regs.vsl and
  i386flags.vsl.

2. Those two styles are loaded by default. A first cut at doing better
  would be to test to see if the gdb debugger is used. This is done
  by using by comparing gdb->type() to GDB, e.g. gdb->type() ==
  GDB. Even better would be to issue the gdb command "show
  architecture" and look for i386.

  Another approach that I think would work just as well would be to
  install the profile as part of your Ddd X resources file.  It looks
  like the resources
  Ddd*vslLibrary: i386.vsl

  where i386.vsl is just:
    #include "i386regs.vsl"
    #include "i386flags.vsl"

  In fact, one might want to have a i586.vsl or i686.vsl which uses
  some of the i386 definitions. So I suggest that when this goes into
  ddd (and I think it should), this may be a better organization.

I would agree wholeheartedly with these comments.  I think all the changes
that have been mentioned are good ones, as long as they don't break ddd on non-x86 platforms or for non-gdb debuggers.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden