ddd

Re: ddd port to new widget set

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: ddd port to new widget set
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:26:03 +0100

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 17:13 -0400, Burlen Loring wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have seen on the website some mention of porting ddd from motif to a
> new widget set, and I would like to put a vote in for using Qt. That is,
> if users get a say in such things. In my experience I have found Qt to
> be very full featured and well designed, if a little unconventional. An
> additional advantage of Qt is that it is cross platform, opening up the
> possibility of a windows or mac port of ddd.

Hi Burlen,

there is already an effort underway to port DDD to another widget set.
However, at present I am the only one working on it.  Because I happen
to be familiar with Gtkmm and unfamiliar with Qt, I am aiming at Gtkmm
(I don't want to get into any toolkit wars here, I'm sure Qt would do
fine!).  Gtkmm programs will also run on MS-Windows under a cygwin or
mingw environment.

However, my port is designed to work through an abstraction layer which
separates the DDD code from the the underlying toolkit.  My code
implements the necessary widgets using Gtkmm, but you might find that an
additional Qt backend would be reasonably easy to write.  The toolkits
do have plenty of conceptual similarities (signals/slots etc.).

Peter Wainwright