[DejaGnu] testing step

From: Richard Weitz
Subject: [DejaGnu] testing step
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:16:19 -0600 (CST)

I'm installing gcc.  The install notes for gcc suggest that the
test programs might be something to run before doing the install step.
The dejagnu package is required in order to do this.

Therefore, I'm installing the dejagnu package.
I ran configure as noted in the dejagnu README file, as follows:
 /srcdir/configure MYHOSTTYPE --srcdir /srcdir
where MYHOSTTYPE has a config.sub recognized value.

This generated the following warning:
 configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target

I was curious to see what configure would do if I did not specify
a MYHOSTTYPE.  I deleted everything and re-ran configure as follows:
 /srcdir/configure --srcdir /srcdir
no warning was generated

I also did the same experiment with and without using the --srcdir option.
Didn't notice that the use of the --srcdir option mattered.

The dejagnu INSTALL file says:
  3. Optionally, type `make check' to run any self-tests that come with
     the package.

I did this and noticed that it trys to use g++.

gnumake[4]: Entering directory `/objdir/testsuite/libdejagnu'
g++ -DPACKAGE=\"dejagnu\" -DVERSION=\"1.4.2\"  -I.
 -I/srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu      -I/srcdir -g -c
 /srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu/unit.cc
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec cpp: No such file or directory
gnumake[4]: *** [unit.o] Error 1
gnumake[4]: Leaving directory `/objdir/testsuite/libdejagnu'
gnumake[3]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
gnumake[3]: Leaving directory `/objdir/testsuite'
gnumake[2]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 2
gnumake[2]: Leaving directory `/objdir'
gnumake[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
gnumake[1]: Leaving directory `/objdir'
gnumake: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

It looked like the
env variable in the Makefile for the c ++ complier is CXX, so I deleted
everything again and set an environment variable CXX='CC -n32'
as well as an environment variable CC='cc -n32', where CC is the non-gnu
c ++ compiler and cc is the non-gnu c compiler.  Then re-ran:
/srcdir/configure --srcdir /srcdir
gnumake
gnumake check

gnumake[4]: Entering directory `/objdir/testsuite/libdejagnu'
CC -n32 -DPACKAGE=\"dejagnu\" -DVERSION=\"1.4.2\"  -I.
 -I/srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu      -I/srcdir -g -c
 /srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu/unit.cc
Command-line error(1574): invalid macro definition:

Error(1005): could not open source file ".deps/unit.pp"

2 catastrophic errors detected in the compilation of ".deps/unit.pp".
Compilation terminated.
gnumake[4]: *** [unit.o] Error 2
gnumake[4]: Leaving directory `/objdir/testsuite/libdejagnu'
gnumake[3]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
gnumake[3]: Leaving directory `/objdir/testsuite'
gnumake[2]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 2
gnumake[2]: Leaving directory `/objdir'
gnumake[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
gnumake[1]: Leaving directory `/objdir'
gnumake: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

I then went into the dir: /srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu/
and directly issued the compile line that the Makefile issues
as follows, and got the following:

CC -n32 -DPACKAGE=\"dejagnu\" -DVERSION=\"1.4.2\"  -I.
 -I/srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu      -I/srcdir -g -c
 /srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu/unit.cc

"/srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu/unit.cc", line 4: error(1005):
          could not open source file "iostream"
  #include <iostream>
                     ^

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of
 "/srcdir/testsuite/libdejagnu/unit.cc".
Compilation terminated.

I looked at the src for unit.cc.
Did the following source files get left out of the distribution ?
iostream, string, fstream, set

Shouldn't these source files be .h files?

What am I doing wrong ?

       Thanks,
       Richard
       address@hidden