Re: dejagnu(1) multi-launcher and dejagnu-report-card

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: dejagnu(1) multi-launcher and dejagnu-report-card
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 21:49:39 -0600

Ben Elliston wrote:
On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 06:59:34PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
Second, the first subcommand to implement would be "dejagnu
report-card", for which I already have shell and Tcl
implementations.  This would then be usable as part of the DejaGnu
testsuite to provide a nice summary at the end of a testsuite run.

There is a pretty high maintenance overhead of maintaining multiple
implementations.

DejaGnu "MULTIPASS" can help with this -- run the same tests against all implementations, ensuring that any regressions will be caught. Maintenance for the report-card feature overall should be tiny -- the output of DejaGnu is unlikely to change significantly, since the kind of testing DejaGnu supports is mature and well-understood by now.

Why not just decide, conservatively, what the right
language is for the job, and we'll just make it a prerequisite to be
checked by 'configure'? If the tool (eg, AWK) is not available, we can
just abort the configure script, or not install the subcommand script.

Part of the problem is that "right language for the job" is somewhat dependent on the size of the workload. For small testsuites, even the shell version performs well, but the advantages AWK holds over Tcl seem to increase with the number of tests in the suite. It is also possible that I am missing significant optimizations in the Tcl version. For example, does Tcl byte-compile loop bodies in open code or only in procedures? The Tcl version is currently a simple linear script and seems to spend most of its time reading input.

-- Jacob