[Directory-discuss] Status report

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: [Directory-discuss] Status report
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:11:57 -0400

*******
Please note that there is currently a configuration problem with our instance of GNU Mailman. In your welcome message to this mailing list, as well as in footers of each mail, the domain name listed is incorrect. Wherever you see "http://gnu.org"; it should be changed to "http://lists.gnu.org";; however, emails should be sent to address@hidden Sorry if this caused any confusion; we hope to have this fixed soon.
*******

Hello! I owe you all a status update. The short update is as follows.
All of the data has been imported onto our staging server (directory-dev.fsf.org). A little more work needs to be done with templates and forms by me over the next few hours. Once completed, I will move on to providing a slightly more detailed roadmap of what needs to be tested, as well as documentation on how the wiki is currently organized. So, you can expect a follow-up email later today.

I have also put together a slightly more detailed status report and some notes on workflow, below.

From: <http://directory-dev.fsf.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page>

== Status Report 14 April, 2011 ==

* ''' Staging server''': We have created a staging server called directory-dev.fsf.org; if you want access, simply log-in with your FSF account and then email me (jgay) and I will give you administrative access. * '''Data migration''': To the best of our knowledge, anyhow. We believe we have successfully moved all of the data from the existing directory.fsf.org over to the wiki. * '''Forms/Templates''': Are not yet complete, but we are rapidly approaching completion. When this is complete, testing and review will need to be done before we can launch. Further notes on workflow below; although detailed documentation on how this wiki is organized (Properties, Templates, Forms, et al) is not yet completed. * '''Backlog of work''': There is a backlog of work (updates and new submissions). We will likely create an RT queue to deal with such work. Eventually we may be able to move task-management over to the wiki itself, but, currently such requests are in RT.

=== Workflow ===

Our basic workflow is that '''users with administrative credentials''' will be able to edit and post entires to the directory. Such entries can be made visible to internal search and querying of the wiki as well as crawled by search engines. The entires can be added or edited using a form, [[Form:Entry|''Form:Entry'']] (creation of detailed documentation for how forms, templates, etc. are organized should be coming soon).

'''Users without administrative credentials''' will not be able to edit pages/entries within the Main namespace. However, they will be able to contribute new submissions to the ''Review'' namespace. Pages in this namespace will not appear in search results or queries on the site, nor will they be crawled by search engines. Users will be able to submit new entries using the form, [[Form:Submit|''Form:Submit'']].

When Entries have been approved, administrators can move them from the Review namespace over to the Main namespace for official publication on the Free Software Directory.