Re: [Directory-discuss] Status report

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Directory-discuss] Status report
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:17:33 GMT

Hi Joshua,

    as well as in footers of each mail, the domain name listed is incorrect.
    Wherever you see "http://gnu.org"; it should be changed to

I took it upon myself to clear the footer (which happens by default
these days through savannah/etc., BTW).

    * '''Data migration''': To the best of our knowledge, anyhow. We believe
    we have successfully moved all of the data from the existing
    directory.fsf.org over to the wiki.

1. The displayed top-level directories still seem a rather random
collection.  Are you still tuning that or do you want comments?

2. I haven't mentioned this before, but it would be better for the home
page of every GNU package (yes, really) to be listed as
http://www.gnu.org/software/PKGNAME.  That's what it's supposed to be.
I've put in a ton of redirects to make it actually work, and it would be
suboptimal to maintain the redirects in more than one place.  Can you
easily do a mass replace?

    * '''Forms/Templates''': Are not yet complete, but we are rapidly

Looking at http://directory-dev.fsf.org/wiki/Category/Biology, it seems
a waste of space to have a whole column devoted to "GNU?".  Is putting
the GNU head images into the first column (which has no header, by the
way, should be "Package" I suppose :) still in the works?  I seem to
recall John saying something about that.

Looking at http://directory-dev.fsf.org/wiki/Zile_is_Lossy_Emacs, it
seems odd to have the license statement before the final table ("facts
about"), instead of at the end.

Minor: the plus-or-minus symbol on every entry in the "facts about"
table seems odd; has no meaning to me, anyway.  Magnifying glass I
understand.

     == Status Report 14 April, 2011 ==

Status of data dump?

All looking well-improved in general ...

Thanks,
Karl