Re: [directory-discuss] Case sensitivity of searches

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Case sensitivity of searches
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:31:54 +0200

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:09:43AM -0400, Andrew Engelbrecht wrote:
> That's a tricky one. Case is sensitive by default, which lets us use
> the names 'mpc' and 'MPC' at the same time. The latter could be called
> 'GNU mpc', but the same issue would still happen if you typed 'mpc'
> and not 'GNU'.

Well, there is already some forced capitalisation in place. I just added
cross references between the mpc projects, as you suggested, in the fields
"related projects". The reference to "mpc" (the music program) is given
as "Mpc".

> the reason the list of entries currently isn't given when there's an
> exact match is because this way is convenient for the user. one
> solution would be to never go straight to the matching page, to never
> do so when there are similar page title matches, or to use a
> disambiguation page/link for similar pages, like wikipedia does.
>
> I kind of like the last solution since it is probably easiest to
> implement, though the second solution would be ideal. In the meantime,
> you could add a link at the bottom of 'mpc' for 'GNU MPC', and vice versa.

All of these solutions sound fine for me.

> Thanks for putting this entry in the directory. :) I have two minor
> suggestions though: Please list your name or user name for the
> 'Licence Verified by:' field. It's important that there is some
> license check for programs that get added to the directory. Since this
> is a GNU package, you don't have to worry about license violations, or
> check file headers with grep. All of GNU is likely v3.

As the GNU maintainer of mpc, I confirm... On the other hand, not all of
GNU is v3+, so one still needs to check each individual case.

> Another thing to do is to click the 'Remove' button for the fields
> under the 'Person info' tab. That way, an empty table won't show up on
> the 'Details' tab of the finished entry.

Okay. Instead, I just added myself as maintainer.

Thanks for your verifications!

Andreas