Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Game plan for 'bait and surrender' and 'freedom betrayed' packages in the directory
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 13:56:07 -0500

  > MySQL is an example:Oracle
  > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Corporation>'s MySQL
  > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL> database software is dual-licensed
  > under a proprietary license, and the GNU GPL
  > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GPL>; proprietary versions offer
  > additional features and enterprise support plans. -
  > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_core#Examples

  > Do you think we should use the term "open core" to describe partially
  > proprietary software?

No, because we don't want to use the term "open".

Please note that "dual-licensed" is the wrong term to use to describe
that sort of case.  We use it when ONE program is released under
multiple FREE licenses -- for instance, CDDL and GPL.

We do NOT use the term "dual-license" to refer to selling exceptions.
See http://gnu.org/philosophy/selling-exceptions.html.  We do not
object to selling a license exception for the same code that is
released as free software.  Such programs should be listed in the
free software directory in the usual way.

In the case of MySQL, there is a free program and a proprietary
program; they are not the same.

The free MySQL is useful, not mere bait.  We should list it in
directory and we should NOT tag call it "bait and surrender".

But we should warn people to reject the nonfree version.

Any suggestions for how to do that?

--
Dr Richard Stallman