Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields

From: Donald Robertson
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:12:18 -0400

On 07/28/2018 03:46 AM, John Sullivan wrote:
> Ian Kelling <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What you describe "last reviewed" to mean is actually done by a different
>> field, license verification date.
>>
>> The tooltip for "last reviewed" says "Change this date in case you have
>> made substantial edits or have updated the version". There are no other
>> instructions that I see anywhere. So I think it generally describes what
>> that tooltip says. I've clicked it hundreds of times and I'm convinced
>> it's more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>> According to
>> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements, our
>> basic requirements are that it's free software, free docs, and runs on
>> gnu. So, license verification covers "free". Runs on gnu doesn't
>> need a separate field, it's checked on initial review, rarely changes
>> and you would often notice if it doesn't when you do a license
>> verification.
>>

> I'm not so sure people would notice if a program stopped providing a
> GNU/Linux version if you were just looking at the license file/info in
> the source repository. That does seem like a separate check to me.
>
> I still like the idea of having a "last reviewed" field, that people
> update when they feel like they have done more than just update a
> version number etc. Maybe the redundant field here is actually "license
> verification date" -- that could be folded into the meaning of "last
> reviewed", since we shouldn't consider anything having been reviewed if
> the license wasn't checked.

People do use 'last reviewed' when doing simple updates like changing
version numbers. It wasn't clearly laid out what that field was meant
for, so people have either left it blank (which they can do) or used it
whenever they do an update. So the old data for that field is probably
not useful. It might make sense to merge the two together and then go on
offensive explaining how the field should be used.

--
Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Licensing & Compliance Manager