Re: [directory-discuss] Random thought on fsd and wikidata

From: Donald Robertson
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Random thought on fsd and wikidata
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 12:20:49 -0400

On 11/01/2018 10:13 AM, Laura Morales wrote:
> Since data on the fsd seems mostly old and not very up to date... I was
> wondering: does the fsd need to exist at all? Can't it be merged into
> wikidata? Wouldn't it be better to spend time on other projects than this?
> For example, we could just add a new property to wikidata called
> "fsf-verified" and I think this would pretty much do everything the directory
> does.

I don't think the issues with keeping things up to date on the Directory
would be solved by lumping our work into another venue. Just from a
random look through packages in the 'Oldies', many are not even listed
in wikidata, so it's not clear how trying to glom onto that community
would help to keep things up to date.

And the reality is that things are actually getting better on that
front. There's less than 300 packages in 'Oldies', which is down quite a
lot since we first started that project team. So we just need to
continue that work and keep on improving.