Re: [directory-discuss] Random thought on fsd and wikidata

From: Christopher M. Hobbs
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Random thought on fsd and wikidata
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 17:39:41 +0000

Donald Robertson writes:

> On 11/05/2018 11:02 AM, Laura Morales wrote:
>> Then perhaps all those people maintaining "Free GNU/Linux distributions"
>> should contribute to the fsd instead of duplicating their work for every
>> distribution, and use the fsd as the base from where to choose which
>> packages to include in their package managers. Then the fsd would have a
>> purpose.
>>

> It's already the case that maintainers of free distros check for things
> in the Directory when looking to add things.

Speaking as a relatively inactive directory maintainer, I think the real
problem is active people keeping up with the directory.  We've fallen
behind because we just don't have enough folks taking care of it.

I've often thought about ways to automate the process by scraping repos
and such but haven't taken the time to attempt anything given the lack
of standards being followed for location of license files, declaration
of dependencies, etc.

cmh

--
Happy Hacking!

http://manor.space/~cmhobbs
GPG:  1200 0808 F968 47AB F489  91A3 FE26 6FFB 1A77 0868